In earlier, we had seen the silt content test for sand and now we are going to discuss the bulking of sand test.
We have to conduct so many types of test to determine the quality and strength of the material. A test certificate could be issued for manufactured material by the manufacturer but sand is not a manufactured material so we have to do some kind of field test.
Bulking of Sand
Due to the presence of surface moisture the volume of dry sand will increase it is called Bulking of sand.
Nutshell, when water added with sand/soil the density will be reduced without compaction. The difference between the volume of dry soil & saturated soil is called as bulking of sand.
Impacts of Bulking of Sand
- The volume of sand will be increased and more sand should add while batching of concrete.
- Due to the surface moisture, there is a chance for honeycomb formation in concrete.
- It will be affecting the volumetric mix proportion of concrete.
- The concrete will lose its strength.
- The concrete seems to stony and it may be prone to the segregation.
The 5% to 8% of surface moisture will increase the bulking of sand up to 20% to 30%.
We know you have a question?
Due to the presence of surface moisture, the volume of Coarse aggregate will increase a tiny quantity.
Bulking of Sand Test
The bulking of sand test should do as per IS 2386.
Sand Test Procedure
- Take a 250ml capacity of measuring cylinder.
- Fill the sand up to 200 ml and shake well then record the level as a.
- Add required water to the cylinder to saturate the sand completely and stir well. Now the level of saturated sand is below the level of what we filled in the earlier sand & record the level as b.