Knowledge of Surveying is important in the planning and execution of any construction project. The surveying is the crucial initial step (plan) of a project execution which helps to manipulate the project without errors.
The Importance of surveying in Civil Engineering is listed below.
- The data measurements gathered from surveying helps establish the plan and design of all civil engineering projects such as tunneling, irrigation, dams, reservoirs, waterworks, sewerage works, building, roads, bridges, railways, irrigation canals, reservoirs etc.
- During the project execution, any proposed structure is constructed along the lines and points established by surveying.
- Surveying helps calculate the project’s possible alignment and the required amount of earthwork.
- Surveying helps to assess the high-risk areas and hazards of a project.
- Surveying helps to prepare the measurement data such as topography of the site, adjacent structures, locations and sources available to kick-start the architectural design conceptualization.
- Surveying helps to know the accurate soil profile, establish drainage paths, and prepare contour surveys.
- Surveying prepares the plan and map of an area occupied by the project, also known as boundaries (legal boundaries).
- Surveying helps to establish control points (benchmark)
- Surveying helps to determine the economic feasibility by avoiding errors during execution, saving time and money for an efficient project.
- Surveying helps to fix national and state boundaries.
- Surveying determines the required land acquisition.
- Surveying helps to chart coastlines, navigable streams and lakes.
- Surveying helps prepare a topographic map of the Earth’s land surface.
- Surveying in road construction helps to identify the right location for the road works along with optimal curve placements, materials, and methods to be used.
- Surveying in town planning determines the flexible land zone that is easy to build in the construction, roads, railways, cable, drinking water plans, etc.
- Even though the result of surveying supports the execution of the project, we can quickly identify the hindrances at the earliest.
What is Surveying? Surveying is the technique, profession, art, and science of determining the two-dimensional or three-dimensional positions of points and the distances and angles between them on or below the Earth’s surface.