We all know the concrete is strong against compression force and weak against tensile force. So, to stabilise the concrete against tension force, the steel reinforcement is embedded into the concrete.
Hence forming reinforced concrete and gives strength and enough durability for the structure.
But why not use other materials for the reinforcement? Because the steel bars are possessing the following parameter.
- It is economical.
- It resists the sudden impact.
- The steel bars can be reused.
- It is easy to bend and cut steel at the desired size.
- The raw material for manufacturing steel is easily available.
- It possesses high tensile strength and high modulus of elasticity.
- The wastage happens while utilising the steel and also it can be used for other works.
- The steel makes a great bond with the concrete to become a robust homogeneous element.
- Different grades of steel are available like Fe415, Fe500, and it can be used where high strength is required.
- The thermal coefficient of steel and concrete is approximately the same. So thermal expansion will not happen.
The bamboo sticks, glass and fibre plastics are used as reinforcement apart from the steel. But the steel-reinforced concrete gives a long-life span for the structure compared to the other material.
Moreover, much more quality & strength tests have to be conducted on the other material before to use for construction.
But the steel already regularised in different sizes of diameter 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, 25mm and 32mm.
Happy Learning 🙂