A construction of a building is not an easy thing at the same time we have to protect our building from force majeure or other natural disorder because the building is the biggest investment of us.
Protection of building from natural disorder depends on the structure design, we will see design detail of structure in another post.
In this post, we are going to discuss how to protect the structure from Subterranean Termites along with types of anti termite treatment & anti termite treatment procedure.
Before to discuss we shall take a look at termites and effects of termites.
What are Subterranean Termites?
Termites are one of the insect’s types seems to size like ants. Termites have differed from ants because they eat wood. Basically, ants build their colonies under the earth’s surface near to the standing water around the foundation because they need moisture area.
Impacts of Termites
Can termites eat concrete? – Absolutely No!.
Wood is the prefered food for termites but if the concrete obstacle to get the wood then termites will make the tiny holes in concrete to get the wood. The holes are formed as crack and affected the foundation strength.
Now we are going to discuss the Anti Termite treatment procedure.
Anti-termite treatment classified as below
Most of the people not aware of the Anti Termite treatment and they easily left the activity. We suggest Pre Construction anti termite is best because “Prevention is better than cure” but here we discuss both Pre & Post construction Anti-termite.
Anti Termite treatment specification
In India the anti-termite work was executed by below mentioned IS standard. The Anti termite treatment should be executed by a certified and experienced agency.
|IS 6313 Part I||Constructional Measure|
|IS 6313 Part II||Pre-construction Anti Termite measure|
|IS 6313 Part III||Treatment for Existing building|
Pre-construction Anti termite treatment procedure
The purpose of anti termite treatment is providing a chemical barrier around the foundation to against the termites.
Material and equipment Requirement
- Chloropyriphos 20% EC (Chemical)
- Add 1 part of Chloropyriphos 20% EC with 19 parts of water (1:19 ratio)
- Earth driller machine
- Measuring cane (20 Liters)
- The earth surface should be dry and clean.
- The chemical should be injected into the ground by 3 stages as a specified ratio.
- At first stage below to the PPC, the earth surface has drilled 12mm dia and 300mm deep at 150mm interval. The chemical should be injected as the above-mentioned ratio of 5 litres per sqm.
- At the second stage, the substructure of the building which is surrounded by earth has to be treated with the chemical by 7.5 Liters per sqm. In this stage, the chemical shall be injected at 450mm deep and 150mm distance from the substructure.
- At the third stage, before laying the flooring the inner plinth wall portion should backfill by normal earth and it should be well compact. The chemical treatment will complete as mentioned above ratio of 5 litres per sqm.
Post construction Anti Termite Procedure
What is meant by Post construction Anti Termite?
The termite treatment shall execute after completion of the building works is called post construction anti termite treatment.
We have to dig a trench close to the external wall of building the chemical shall be injected at 500mm deep at the ratio of 7.5Liters per sqm. But the ratio and depth will be different based on the size of the foundation because the chemical should reach the ground to restrict the termite’s entries. If already termites attack the households items then we have to apply the chemical to the material by the spraying method.
Now we come to the conclusion., As above said “Prevention is better than cure” so better we have applied the Pre construction anti termite treatment and also it is economical.
You may like to read Types of foundation.