Today we are going to discuss how to check the quality of bricks. Brick is one of the traditional material which is widely using for construction.
Quality of Bricks
Size and Shape
- A good brick should have a uniform shape & size. It might be rectangular shape without any dropsy on its body.
- The bricks surface should not be smooth otherwise the mortar will not paste the brick.
As per IS specification the size of the brick should be 190mm x 90mm x 90mm and it’s weighted being approx 3 Kg.
- The brick should contain uniform colour and free from cracks.
- It should have copper colour & might be bright.
- A good brick should give a clear metallic ringing sound when struck with another brick.
Hardness & Strength
- A good brick should be hard, even fingernails should not be able to make any impression on its surface.
- It should not break when its fallen from the 1m height on the ground or another brick.
- A good brick should give a clear metallic ringing sound when struck with another brick and it should not break.
- The crushing strength of bricks should not be less than 3.5 N/Sqmm. If the brick is high quality then it should have crushing value minimum 14 N/Sqmm.
Water Absorption Test
Water absorption test is used to find out the quality of bricks. The brick should not absorb more than 20% of its dry weight of water when the brick immersed in water for 24 hours.
How to do Water Absorption Test?
- Weight the dry weight of brick (W1).
- Immerse the brick in water for 24 hours then weight it (W2).
Now the Percentage of water absorption,
If there are lot white smudge on the brick then the brick contains much alkaline salt. It causes the efflorescence on its surface & disintegrated the bricks.
How to do Efflorescence Test?
Actually, it is very simple
- Immerse a brick in water for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours take out the brick, if the white deposits cover the brick more than 20% of its surface then avoid the brick.
A good brick should resist the effects of temperature, rain, frost action & fire up to 1200° C.
Don’t forget the quality of bricks will increase the life of wall.